- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI)
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI)
WEB SITE LANGUAGE TRANSLATION
The City of Lewiston's web site can be read in a variety of languages. Mid screen (lower right) of the web site contains a "Select Language" button. If a language is selected, the entire web site can then be read in that language.
DEI VISION STATEMENT (adopted 10/19/21)
Lewiston is committed to being a community of excellence. We value the belief that every person, by virtue of being human, is entitled to a life of dignity, equality, and respect - free from discrimination and harassment.
DEI MISSION STATEMENT (adopted 10/19/21)
Lewiston is dedicated to fostering a welcoming and inclusive environment for all its residents. To achieve a community of excellence, our goal is to engage and empower all the diverse voices of our community so that as a collective, we can remove barriers that perpetuate inequity, injustice and exclusivity. We work to create a safe place where all our residents – of any race; creed; culture; socio-economic status; sexual orientation; residency; gender and/or disability - can live freely, play happily, thrive successfully, and learn and grow together.
For this reason, the City of Lewiston upholds the following principles:
- Commit to closing racial and gender gaps in wages, housing credit, employment, business development, lending opportunities, and access to higher education for all our residents.
- Create a welcoming, nurturing, inclusive environment that promotes interaction among all residents and create awareness, appreciation, and acceptance of different cultures, beliefs, and ideas.
- Ensure that programs and policies do not perpetuate systemic barriers to opportunities and benefits for underserved groups.We will also strive for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) education of leadership and community member’s trainings, so we can strengthen every employee’s ability to serve the public equitably and objectively.
- Promote equity for all by allocating resources to address the historic failure to invest sufficiently, justly, and equally in underserved communities, as well as individuals from those communities.
- Collaborate with members of communities that have been underrepresented and subjected to discrimination to evaluate opportunities for growth, education, partnership, and resources.
- Promote Title VI in all federally funded organizations so communities are aware their civil rights and language access.
- Ensure fair and equitable growth of our children by providing equal access to recreation programs, higher learning, and resources.
- Prioritize the recruitment of marginalized and underrepresented backgrounds through targeted DEI recruitment planning and retention of more diverse staff in all City departments.
- Collaborate with the School Committees to provide our young people with the best education in the State of Maine and pathways to higher education and positive life outcomes.
City's Equity Statement
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Terms & Definitions
Melissa Hue Bio
(207) 513-3000, Ext. 3241
27 Pine Street, Lewiston, ME 04240