- Planning & Code Enforcement
- Marijuana Information
Marijuana Business Information
A Business License is REQUIRED in order to operate any marijuana business in the City of Lewiston.
- Marijuana License Application
- Performance Standards for Marijuana Businesses
- Business License Requirements for Marijuana Businesses
When you are ready to proceed, please contact Planning and Code Enforcement at (207) 513-3125 or (207) 513-3007 TTY/TDD
In December of 2019, Lewiston’s City Council passed an ordinance pertaining to Adult Use and Medical Marijuana. The purpose of Lewiston’s marijuana ordinance is to protect the public health, safety, and welfare of its residents and visitors by prescribing the manner in which the cultivation and distribution of marijuana can be conducted in the city.
The City of Lewiston allows marijuana businesses in specific zoning districts only. Be sure to speak with Planning and Code Enforcement before submitting an application to ensure that your location is in compliance with all zoning regulations and performance standards.
Applying for a License
Step 1: Meet with Planning and Code Enforcement Staff
Step 2: Completing the Application
After meeting with Planning and Code Enforcement, you may pick up an application for a marijuana business license from the City Clerk. As part of the application, you will be required to submit the following attachments:
- A sketch showing the subject premises, including building footprint, interior layout with floor space to be occupied by the business and a parking plan. Must be drawn to scale with marked dimensions
- A copy of a City Tax Map or similar map to scale depicting the property lines of the premises and the property lines of other properties which could conflict with a marijuana business
- A description of odor control and security measures
- A copy of any proposed signs
- Corporation, Partnership, or LLC paperwork
- A copy of property deed and demonstration of right, title, or interest for use of the property as a marijuana business
- A copy of current valid ID
- A list of all states applicant(s) has lived in since the age of 18
- A copy of caregiver ID card issued by the State of Maine
WHEN YOU ARE READY, CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE APPLICATION
Step 3: Apply for Additional Permits and Licenses
Once you have been approved for a marijuana business license, you must obtain any additional required permits. Permits which may be required include, but are not limited to:
If your business includes the preparation of goods containing marijuana that are intended for consumption, you must obtain the proper licenses from the City of Lewiston and the State of Maine. For more information, please contact Louie Lachance.
For more information about State of Maine requirements, click here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a business license?
A business license is required in order to operate a commercial marijuana business.
Those persons growing marijuana for their own personal use, and Registered Caregivers growing or manufacturing medical marijuana for their own use or for use by members of their household do not require a business license.
Does Lewiston have license caps for marijuana businesses?
No, there are no license caps for marijuana business licenses.
Am I allowed to grow marijuana outdoors?
Outdoor cultivation of marijuana, whether for personal or commercial purposes, is prohibited in Lewiston. Furthermore, marijuana businesses are not permitted to conduct outdoor sales or services of any kind.
Are there rules about where in town I can open a marijuana business?
Yes. Different types of marijuana businesses are allowed in different zoning districts. For example, while the "Community Business" zoning district allows marijuana retail stores, it prohibits marijuana cultivation, manufacturing, testing, and nurseries.
Additionally, there are restrictions based on proximity to incompatible uses, such as schools, parks, playgrounds, child care facilities, and dwellings in residential zoning districts.
How much is the fee for a marijuana business license?
Tier 1 (0 to 500)
Tier 2 (501 to 2000)
Tier 3 (2001 to 7000)
Tier 4 (7001 to 20000)
|Background check||$21 per applicant|