Marijuana Business Information
In December of 2019, Lewiston’s City Council passed an ordinance pertaining to Adult Use and Medical Marijuana. The purpose of Lewiston’s marijuana ordinance is to protect the public health, safety, and welfare of its residents and visitors by prescribing the manner in which the cultivation and distribution of marijuana can be conducted in the city.
The City of Lewiston allows marijuana businesses in specific zoning districts only. Be sure to speak with Planning and Code Enforcement before submitting an application to ensure that your location is in compliance with all zoning regulations and performance standards.
When you are ready to proceed, please contact Planning and Code Enforcement at (207) 513-3125 or (207) 513-3007 TTY/TDD.
|Cultivation facility||Tier 1 - $1,000
Tier 2 - $1,500
Tier 3 - $2,500
Tier 4 - $5,000
|Background check||$21 per applicant|
Meet with Planning and Code Enforcement Staff
All marijuana businesses are subject to the following setback requirements:
|Schools, child-care facilities, public parks, playgrounds, city-owned recreational facilities||750 feet from the main entrance of the business to the nearest property line|
|Any two (2) other marijuana businesses||500 feet between main entrances|
|Dwelling in a residential zoning district||300 feet between main entrances|
Completing the Application
After meeting with Planning and Code Enforcement, you may pick up an application for a marijuana business license from the City Clerk. As part of the application, you will be required to submit the following attachments:
- A sketch showing the subject premises, including building footprint, interior layout with floor space to be occupied by the business and a parking plan. Must be drawn to scale with marked dimensions
- A copy of a City Tax Map or similar map to scale depicting the property lines of the premises and the property lines of other properties which could conflict with a marijuana business
- A description of odor control and security measures
- A copy of any proposed signs
- Corporation, Partnership, or LLC paperwork
- A copy of property deed and demonstration of right, title, or interest for use of the property as a marijuana business
- A copy of current valid ID
- A list of all states applicant(s) has lived in since the age of 18
- A copy of caregiver ID card issued by the State of Maine
Additional Permits and Licenses
Once you have been approved for a marijuana business license, you must obtain any additional required permits. Permits which may be required include, but are not limited to:
If your business includes the preparation of goods containing marijuana that are intended for consumption, you must obtain the proper licenses from the City of Lewiston and the State of Maine.
For more information about State of Maine requirements, click here.